The industry of eCommerce has taken the world by storm in the last decade. Industry giants like Amazon and Walmart have revolutionized the service and changed the expectations the customers have for shopping online. While this may deter smaller firms from attempting to break into the eCommerce realm, it is essential for their success that they make the transition to an online channel. Though it is a complicated field, there are keys to succeeding that we will cover in this article.
1. Why small businesses should compete in eCommerce
As the world increasingly moves online, it’s more important than ever for small businesses to have a strong presence in eCommerce. Here are some of the reasons why:
- The global eCommerce market is expected to reach $5.84 trillion by 2022- that’s a lot of potential customers!
- An eCommerce site gives you the ability to reach customers 24/7, from anywhere in the world.
- A well-designed eCommerce site can help build trust and credibility with potential customers.
- It’s cost-effective to set up and maintain an eCommerce site, and it can save you money in the long run by streamlining your business operations.
2. How to make your eCommerce website stand out
In such a competitive market, it’s important that your eCommerce website stands out from the rest. Here are some tips:
- Make sure your website is designed with mobile users in mind. According to Statista, 78% of people worldwide used a smartphone to access the internet in 2021, and this number is only going to grow.
- Your website should be easy to navigate and user-friendly. Customers should be able to find what they’re looking for in a few clicks.
- Make sure your website is fast. 40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load.
- Your website should be secure. Include features like SSL encryption to instill trust in potential customers.
- Include high-quality product photos and descriptions. Customers should be able to get all the information they need without having to contact you.
3. Ways to drive traffic to your eCommerce site
Once you have a well-designed website, you need to drive traffic to it. Here are some ideas:
- Search engine optimization: Use keywords throughout your website to help potential customers find you when they search online.
- Social media marketing: Use social media platforms to promote your products and drive traffic to your website.
- Email marketing: Send out regular emails with special offers and promotions to encourage customers to visit your site.
- Paid advertising: Use platforms like Google Ads or Facebook Ads to reach potential customers who are searching for products like yours.
4. Measuring success in eCommerce
The best way to measure success in eCommerce is by looking at your website’s conversion rate- that is, the percentage of visitors who take the desired action on your site, such as making a purchase.
There are a few things you can do to increase your conversion rate:
- Make sure your website is designed for conversions, with a clear call-to-action on every page.
- Offer free shipping or other incentives to encourage customers to make a purchase.
- Make sure your website is fast and easy to use. If customers have a bad experience, they’re less likely to buy from you.
- Collect customer reviews and testimonials to show potential customers that others have had a positive experience with your business.
5. Maintaining good customer service
The reason that the eCommerce giants are so successful is the level of customer service they are able to provide for their patrons. People chose them time and time again because of their fast and reliable shipping. Though it seems impossible to keep up with the infrastructure of companies like Walmart or Amazon, there are ways for small firms to provide the same level of service.
This is done through contract packaging services. These types of businesses deal with the packaging and shipping for other companies. They have the warehouses, the staff, and the shipping rates that can help get products to customers in a timely manner. This is a service that small eCommerce businesses can take advantage of to keep up with the big boys.
There are plenty of contract packaging services available, so it’s important to do your research to find one that will be the best fit for your business. Make sure to look at things like shipping rates, turnaround times, and reviews before making a decision.
Small businesses can compete with industry giants in the eCommerce field by having a well-designed website, driving traffic to their site, measuring success with conversions, and maintaining good customer service. Contract packaging services can help small businesses provide the same level of service as the big companies, giving them a competitive edge in the online marketplace.