In this article we’ll talk about the long-known SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) format, which has earned its popularity due to its introduction on many sites. All current versions of web browsers already have support for this format. In fact, it is a markup language for vector graphics. It has its pros and cons in use, but still not all designers use the SVG format in their designs. The format is mainly used for interactive graphics and animation.
What distinguishes files svg from other formats and why it is so often used, let’s try to figure out in this article.
What is SVG format?
Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG – Scalable Vector Graphics) is a special language for describing two-dimensional graphics, which is based on XML.
This vector image format can be displayed at high resolutions without loss of quality, which is why it is quite popular.
Working with SVG is available in many popular vector illustrators: Illustrator, Corel Draw or Sketch. But today this is not the whole list of tools for working with SVG format. For example, you can open an SVG file using:
- for Windows and Mac OS – Inkscape, SVG-Edit, Auto-tracer, VectorPaint, Chittram, Irfan View, VisioStandard, Corel Paint Shop Pro, ABViewer;
- for Linux using GIMP, Kolourpaint, sK1, librsvg, Autodesk Tinkercad, Boxy SVG, Vectr;
- using Google Drive.
The use of the SVG format is due to a number of advantages, but first of all it should be highlighted:
- relatively small file size, which is also perfectly compressed thanks to SVGZ;
- unlimited scalability, that is, such graphics look great on retina-like screens;
- there are quite a lot of parameters that can be changed. This can be the fill color, the positions of individual elements: blur filters or animations.
Agree, this list is already enough to try working with the Scalable Vector Graphics format, but let’s delve into the practical part of SVG and its main features in more detail.
Where is SVG used in practice?
Due to the above advantages, this format is very convenient to work with and use, for example:
- It can be used on any displays regardless of their resolution, SVG will be displayed the same everywhere. In the process of scaling, it does not lose information.
- Easy-to-manage SVG files are saved as a statistical image.
- With the help of SVG, you can also make a cute animation that will decorate your resource.
- SVG format is used for logos, background images like buttons, maps, diagrams or drawings.
- They are used to create adaptive sites, dynamic effects, etc.
- It is great for printed products, this is especially true for printing banners, business cards and other types of publications where there are small elements and their high-quality display is necessary.
In the practice of SVG web development, the image format is very useful and pleasant, and all because it has a lot of advantages of use.
Where to buy svg files for cricut
If you need to buy 3d layered svg free, visit the SvgOcean website. This site has a large collection of files in this format. All terms of cooperation can be discussed online with the company’s specialists. The web-site contains many other useful information about the functions of SVG files and their usage.